Wednesday, April 13, 2005

AN OPEN LETTER TO JANE PRATT, THE EDITOR IN CHIEF OF JANE MAGAZINE (THANKS, GEOFF)

Jane,

Perhaps you can help me settle a bet I have with my mother.

She says, Arye--that’s me--it’s not what you know. It’s who you know.
I say, first off, Mom, it’s “whom.”
And then I continue to politely debate her. I tell her that passion and persistence both rule over a well-fed Rolodex.
She says I’m being naïve.
I respond that I’m being optimistic.

I have been a writer in the magazine industry for almost two years. And in those two years that I have been writing for Spin, Blender, New York Magazine, etc. I have been reading Jane Magazine. Despite the fact that I’m a twenty-something Jewish heterosexual male from New Jersey (how many strikes could one guy have against him?), I have always appreciated the tone and attitude of your publication. In fact, as the Music Editor of Heeb Magazine, I always try to replicate your irreverent vibe in my writing without using the word “irreverent” or the term "you go, girl!"

Jane, I wanna work for you and I think I would totally fit in with the Jane family because, well, first off, I’m a man so I know them well. I love music, movies, laughs (totally LOVE laughs!), bargains, politics…not so into the blind dates especially when she has “a great personality”…and I ignore all stigmas on a regular basis like its already my job. I appreciate how busy you must be but we should meet if you have the time. For real.

Ps this isn't some scam for me to finally meet you so I can just win a bet with my mom because I owe her enough money as it is.

Speak soon and best wishes,
Arye Dworken

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

arye,
it's definitely not who(m) you know, cause i never knew anybody (and still largely don't). send me your writing or resume or whatever you have at jane mag 7 west 34 st ny ny 10001 and i will look at it.
--jane

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home