Sunday, March 02, 2003

It is raining today. It's almost a stereotypically lazy day Sunday.
I have found that Ron Sexsmith's "Cobblestone Runway" is a perfect album for said day.
At first, I didn't like it but I'm realizing that sometimes music just needs the appropriate background. It wasn't Ron Sexsmith's music that fell short, it was the times I had chosen to play it. I know. This is not some sort of revelation. But it's something I had not fully acknowledged until recently--music needs a suitable time and a place. It's the only way we can truly appreciate what we are hearing (as I write this I am listening to Mogwai's "Mogwai Fear Satan," perhaps one of the most brilliant compositions of modern music) and reap the rewards that comes along with a repeated listen.
In this world of instant gratification, we are too quick to dismiss--and granted there is validity to the argument that music should not be something that grows on you, it should be instantly accessible (like Nick Hornby said)--but just like anything we put effort into, there are hidden treasures that reveal themselves with each passing spin (Sigur Ros' music proves this point).
And if it takes a rainy Sunday to show me this, then I don't mind them.
Let it rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home