Tuesday, July 18, 2006

THE S*** HEARD AROUND THE WORLD



Gwen Stefani says it thirty-eight times in "Hollaback Girl" so what's the big deal if our President said it once? Isn't it even more offensive that he had his mouth full of food at the time?

"See, the irony is what they really need to do is to get Syria to get Hezbollah to stop doing this s***."

Shana thought hearing President George Bush say s*** was kind of strange and disarming. "It isn't really a big deal," she said. "We hear people say s*** all the time. But it's just when we hear the President do it, it's weird."

Personally, I think it's a huge deal. In fact, I watched the clip like five times in a row.

Growing up, when learning about our forefathers, I had a difficult time imagining them as humans. They seemed so much more than that. They were wise and courageous. They were strong authority figures and people everywhere trusted them. Since then, we've been privy to too much information. Presidents lie about oral sex and they make impulsive decisions based on false information. I have been progressively losing my faith in the government's authority and I think yesterday's overheard comment pretty much sealed the deal.

Presidents are just like us. They speak with their mouth full and they say "s***."

I'm fully aware that Bush is a Southern boy and presumably a crass fellow behind the White House's closed doors. And while I've also stopped supporting him ages ago (I tried to make the best of what we had but alas...), I remain hopeful that one day he will do our country proud. But I also distinctly remember learning in elementary school that the Pharoahs of Egypt would only use the bathroom early in the morning so the loyal subjects would think the God-like ruler didn't have human needs or tendencies. It was all image control, or spin, as they say in Washington. The more superhuman our leaders behave, the more we'll probably place our combined faith in them. I'm not suggesting that Bush should never use the bathroom during the day nor am I suggesting that he should watch his mouth at all times. I'm simply saying that the more human and accessible the President of the United State becomes, the more we'll doubt his already flawed administration.

I've always felt that the President should be more than human. The President should be the most awesome person we can find amongst 300 million American citizens. Sadly, this cannot be George Bush. And the news clip circulating around the internet proves this to me. When Bush misuses the word "irony," faces the cameras while speaking to Blair with his mouth full, mocks the other leaders for their lengthy speech, and then says the word "s***," I wondered where on Earth he had left his tact because, to put it mildly, it's gone to s***.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you prefer he be drunk?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaDtbO9BimM&search=bush%20drunken%20speech

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The point here is that the our president should be smart enough to know that there are cameras and microphones everywhere and you can't take the risk of saying something crass. But then again, our current president has never been acused of being smart. Maybe he should use the word sh** more often to describe his own performance and foreign policy.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home