Tuesday, May 27, 2003

MODERN ART IS A FARCE: An Argument With Myself, Communicated Via Email

From: Arye Dworken
To: Arye Dworken
Date: May 27, 2003 1:03PM
Subject: I don't miss the MOMA

A-
How's it going? I hope all is well.
So, I went to the Dia:Beacon, that new modern art muesem in upstate New York, on Sunday. Let me tell you; eye-rolls all around. I have never been so wanked before in all my life. Like, could I have my ten dollars back? While the building was amazing--so large and airy, a pleasure to be in--the artwork felt forced, uninspired, guady and silly.
Pretty much the way I would describe most modern art.
If I know you, and I think I do, you're now probably reacting like, what am I talking about? Modern art is always relevent and most of all, integral to our existance as cultured human beings, to which I reply: Yawn.
Modern art has gotten out of hand already. Most artists are not even focusing on producing art, they are primarily interested in recognition. It seems that the motivating force behind most artwork nowadays is fame. When a painter produces a picture of the Virgin Mary adorned with elephant dung, one must wonder what his intention are. Was it for me, the appreciator, to look at it and baske in its brilliance, internalize the social commentary on the Christian Church or was it really just to get Gulliani riled up.
I truly wonder if these artists living in Williamsburg are compelled to be artists or did F.I.T. just seem like a really fun place to meet girls with piercings?

Best,
A

From: Arye Dworken
To: Arye Dworken
Date: May 27, 2003 1:43PM
Re: Subject: I don't miss the MOMA

A-

Interesting point you're making. I do see it but I don't really agree. We need modern art because it challenges us. Makes us think more and look to the abstract. If everything was as simple as the classic works then we would never progress as thinkers, or as you say, "a cultured human being."
While some may look at art and think, I don't get it, at least it's making them think. It's prying open the collective closed mind and prompting a reaction, whether that reaction is emotional or thought-out. How many other things can have the same effect? Look at you for example; look how aggrevated you are. Modern art has gotten under your skin. While that may not be the desired reaction of the artist, it's a reaction nonetheless.

By the way, you look great nowadays. I'm happy I ran into you on Sunday.

Best,
A

From: Arye Dworken
To: Arye Dworken
Date: May 27, 2003 2:55PM
Subject: You are spewing ridiculousness

Yes, it was good seeing you. And I appreciate your kind words-you look great yourself.
So, responding to your Devil's Advocate position: I found it interesting that many of the pieces we saw on Sunday were untitled. Like "Untitled 1," "Untitled 7," etc. And I began to wonder why that was so? Why were these works untitled? Well, it's probably because the artist him or herself didn't have a clue as to what he was making. Maybe he chose random paints or in some cases, random parts and just put something together and said to me, to us, the appreciators; you do the work. Maybe you can tell me, the artist, what I made.
This is the ultimate prank.
Most artists, I'm certian, are laughing all the way to the bank. Andy Warhol is the least detestible of them all because he was aware of the prank. He made prints of Campbell soup cans. He almost put no effort into his art but it was worth millions.
Let me tell you about this one artist we saw on Sunday. I can't remember his name but all his paintings were stark white. No color, no picture, no nothing. Just white paint on a canvas. This painter claims that art is not what you see, not what's on the canvas but rather the process of painting. So if you see nothing, then that's the point. Because what you see is not the art but rather how he got to what you're seeing.
I wanted to slap this man. Very hard.
I remember reading in an article how surprised Beck was to find that people were interpreting his lyrics. He admitted that his lyrics were senseless. Random word association. They weren't supposed to mean anything. But there were many out there who mined his nonsense for deep poetry.Yeah, they found it but it was forced. They convinced themselves something was there. NOT EVEN THE ARTIST HIMSELF INTENDED FOR HIS WORDS TO HAVE MEANING. And this is my view on modern art. It's random. It's nonsense but we, the suckers born every minute, bestow so much importance on it, that there's no turning back. If we retracted our praise, then we would all look like fools for supporting scammers.

I have lost all faith in art after going to the Dia:Beacon. And it will take a great deal to restore it. Like maybe actual art.

Flustered,
Arye

From: Arye Dworken
To: Arye Dworken
Date: May 27, 2003 3:32PM
Re: Subject: You are spewing ridiculousness

Dawg -

I am saddened to hear about your loss of faith. It appears that you won't be joining me at the Matthew Barney Exhibit at the Guggenheim?

-A

From: Arye Dworken
To: Arye Dworken
Date: May 27, 2003 4:46PM
Subject: I am having a hard time not coming over the slap you senseless

Did you say "Matthew Barney"? I was at that exhibit and it sucked. I mean, sucked HARD. I have never been so upset about parting ways with a ten dollar bill.
Matthew Barney just proves my point. He solicited millions to make five feature length films of nonsense. You cannot go. I will not let you. That man does not deserve another ounce of recognition. He has taken money that could have otherwise been used for good and spent it feeding his over-sized ego and his alienating pretentiousness.
Matthew Barney is a bad person. He is not an artist. And anyone who says otherwise is trying too hard.
Arye, I am tired of being a victim. I will have it no longer. Are you with me?

Best,
A

From: Arye Dworken
To: Arye Dworken
Date: May 27, 2003 5:12PM
Re: Subject: I am having a hard time not coming over the slap you senseless

Hey,

I'm running home. But I will say this before I leave; you are right to an extent. But there is a redeeming quality to some of the art out there. Take Lichtenstein or Damien Hirst. We should not make sweeping comments like you. But yes, as I said, you are somewhat right. The modern art world is in need for some serious shaping up.
And incidentally, I went to SVA for the girls with piercings, not F.I.T.

Word 6.0,
Arye


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home