Saturday, February 14, 2004

A CONVERSATION HAPPENING SOMEWHERE PART 2; VALENTINE'S SPECIAL

"Hey."
"Hiya."
"What are you doing?"
"Not much, it's Valentine's Day, ya know."
"Yeah, I know. I was trying to ignore that. What an odd day."
"Yup. It's like this day when you're forced to realize the relationships you're in..."
"...Or not in. Ha."
"Yeah. It sucks, doesn't it? I was thinking about it last night. Had trouble sleeping."
"Really? Why?"
"Dunno. I wish I could understand it. I was staring up at the ceiling, wondering about....love. God, even saying that word is weird to me. Wouldn't it be nice to be famous?"
"Why would you say that?"
"I mean, you're always surrounded by people. You're never alone. There's always something to do, something going on."
"Ahh, but isn't it lonely at the top?"
"I don't believe that at all. That's a cliche."
"See, here's what I'm thinking; knowing more people is not our problem. With the internet making the world as small as it is, we know plenty of people. It's just....when you think about it...like, are those relationships we have quality?"
"I wonder if everyone in the world at one point feels lonely. Like is it inherent in our nature? Is it a part of our DNA?"
"Yeah, I think so. Look, apart from schitzos, in our minds, in our essence, we are alone."
"That's a heavy way of looking at things, no?"
"Adam was the first person created and he was created by himself. Eve was only created because Adam was lonely. The first person on this planet felt lonely. What kind of example does that set for the rest of humanity, for eternity?"
"You're listening to emo, aren't you?
"Ha. Nah. That would be dangerous on a day like today. Too many emotions, too much feeling."
"The thing that frustrates me the most about being alone, like we said before, is that most people feel that way. We're too afraid to admit, that we need people. We try to be independent and develop this facade that we don't need company but we do."
"It's so odd to me that in a city such as ours, with so many people around us..."
"Yeah but that's what I'm saying; you feel a certain way and for all you know that girl sitting next to you on the subway feels exactly the same exact way. But neither of you will ever admit it to one another. We aren't expressive enough."
"Hmmm...."
"When I say "romance," what's the first thing that pops into your head?"
"Hollywood."
"Meaning....?"
"Isn't that what we base our expectations on? The movies we've seen, the TV shows we're watched? I read this annoying/interesting essay about how John Cusack has ruined the concept of romance for every man. How we could never live up to the bar he set in "Say Anything."
"Are you serious?"
"Look, it's not so crazy. We have such high standards. Maybe most of the time we don't even try because we're afraid of being disappointed. We're self-defeatest. We get in our own way."
"So, you're saying that we don't take risks in romance because we're just afraid that it won't be "Say Anything"?"
"....Or "Amelie." Or "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Yeah. That's what I'm saying."
"Absurd."
"You can think it's absurd all you want. I'm sure there are beautiful stories out there about airports, flowers, long distance, love letters...all that...but why aren't we hearing about them, seeing them outside the context of a movie theater?"
"I was talking to someone the other day who just ended a relationship and he is a mess. He tells me he feels so incomplete and he's so confused."
"Damned if you do..."
"So, I say to him that to feel something, whether it's pain or love...it's still feeling. Staying in practice. Being emotionally accesible. When you go so long without being in a relationship in any capacity...that's a problem. You become a tin man, of sorts. No heart."
"A Hollywood reference."
"How do we change all of this? How do we make people feel less lonely?"
"I don't know. Do you think I would be on the phone with you talking about this if I had the answer to that?"
"Good point. Man...Happy Valentine's Day. What're you going to do now?"
"I think I'm going to rent "Say Anything."
"You remember those Reebok Pump sneakers?"
"Yeah....I do."
"I wish I still had some of those."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home