Wednesday, February 04, 2009

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/2145122198_74f545e66f.jpg?v=0

Today marks six years in the Hebrew calendar since my dear father passed away. It's hard to believe that this much time has passed. In fact, so much time has passed and so many things have changed since then that it feels like it happened in a previous life. But in truth, it's all right here, post after post. I started this blog six years ago as an outlet for cathartic expression after losing Dad. And so Bring Back Sincerity is six years old. This is thirty-seven years in blog years.

I have the memories with me, both vibrant and real. But after having dinner with my family this evening--sisters, brother-in-laws, nieces, and nephews--I realized that some of the younger ones have never met my dad, which is strange and surreal. His own grandchildren don't know him. And this is when I reached the truly unfortunate conclusion that my children will only know my father by name. Which when considering how close we were is, for a lack of a better term, truly sad.

Their connection will only be in blood and legacy. Interactions will only happen by way of a cemetery visitation. His accomplishments will simply be another story excerpted from the history books. How does one prepare for that inevitability? Pictures and stories won't help. Frankly put, this is just how it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home