Friday, June 20, 2003

I saw the Broken Social Scene last night and it was brilliant. I interviewed them before the show and they are extremely fine gentlemen (and one woman). And even though I posted this review four months ago, I need to "re-release" it (with extra footage). People need to buy this album and so I will force feed you the praise until you learn that this. Is. Good. For. You.

Album recommendation of the week:

BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE/You Forgot It In People

This album has sat down with my brain, had coffee with it and then politely asked my medulla oblongata to use the 87% that's been neglected all these years. My brain is more than happy to comply. My brain has said, please come in and get to know the Neurons. My brain is welcoming like that.
"You Forget It In People" lies somewhere in-between an accessible album and a difficult masterpiece, it sounds like something completely new while simultaneously reminds you of all the great rock albums you've cherished in the past. This is the sound of people that are too smart, dumbing themselves down a tad (for you) and then recording actual songs with structures, choruses and trite stuff like that.
The Scene that is Broken and Social, a large collective from out of nowhere...or Montreal, Canada (same thing), took a break from their respective pretentious instrumental projects and decided to Franzen* indie-rock.
(*the act of defying a chosen art as it lies in its current dormant state; arousing the consumer audience with something that is both commercial and artful. See Jonathan Franzen's Harper's essay on how he challenged the American novel and then wrote the Corrections).
To be honest, I'm not even sure who to compare this band with. One minute I hear Yo La Tengo, the next Jeff Buckley, then I hear the Pixies or Dinasour Jr....soon thereafter there are jam-like allusions to Built to Spill... so many musical ingredients all smooshed together. It's an indie-rock smoothie.
Just listen to the anthem "Almost Crimes" and remember what it's like to have a crush on music. Then play "Lover's Spit" and recall the heartbreak that sometimes follows.
These 13 songs make an album that makes me happy about being a music fan. Yes, this spontaneous output reminds me about the wonders of searching for a hidden treasure. Music like "You Forgot It In People," people, shows us that we need to be thankful for friends that can turn us on to new things and this time, that friend was Catonia.
Now, I'm thirsty for a smoothie.

For further reading on Broken Social Scene, go to:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=7:04:17|PM&sql=Aa9fexqtaldje

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/b/broken-social-scene/you-forgot-it-in-people.shtml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home