Monday, January 08, 2007

SONG AND ARTICLE COMBO SPECIAL!

Aereogramme

Craig B, yes, just “B,” would rather you didn’t know his last name so he could “keep some anonymity.” During our interview, the lead singer of the Glaswegian epic rockers Aereogramme further reveals to me that he is a self-proclaimed “miserable sod.” “I have high hopes for humanity but humanity keeps on letting itself down,” he says, “So maybe I’m not miserable, just realistic.”

Seemingly, Craig’s pessimism, excuse me, realism does not make him the ideal drinking partner, but it does make him an incredibly poignant songwriter. Aereogramme’s fourth full-length release My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go is an unrepentantly heartfelt and sincere record but not that there’s anything wrong with that. “Is that a bad thing?” Craig asks about his sincerity. “Considering the fact that [the members of] Aereogramme have been working part time jobs for seven years, there has been nothing but heartfelt and sincere motives behind every release.”

The hardworking purveyors of genuineness—Craig, alongside drummer Martin Scott, bassist Campbell McNeil and Guitarist Iain Cook—formed Aereogramme in 1998 and produced a series of critically acclaimed records (A Story In White, Sleep and Release (both on Matador), and Seclusion) that expertly combined soaring distortion with vulnerable melody. But it’s only with their newest and somewhat-tempered effort that the band completely realizes it’s potential. The ten wounded songs on My Heart…, like “A Life Worth Living” and “Nightmares”, hauntingly evoke angst, frustration and inner-conflict (“this silence that I know so well/my only friend/my bitterest opponent”) but the sprawling “Living Backwards” penetrates foremost with a crunching conclusion that feels cinematic. “That was the main idea we had for this album,” Craig reveals. “ We decided to link each song with a specific film reference, and so when you listen to “Trenches”, we hope you get an idea of World War II, and if you listen to “Running Man”, you hopefully get a sense of an 80’s Schwarzenegger flick.”
I have no idea if he’s joking or not.

But then again, when I ask Craig about his ultimate ambitions for Aereogramme, he answers, “I just want to sell enough to make a living for the band and the label. That’s all. An Xbox 360 would be nice [too] but I’m not holding my breath.” Maybe he wouldn’t make such a bad drinking partner after all.

Aereogramme - "A Life Worth Living"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home